Indian Mound-Located across from the Museum at the Indian Mound, S. Court Street
This is the highest domiciliary mound in the Tennessee Valley. It was probably build around 100 B.C. an 400 A.D. by a prehistoric people of the ancient Woodland Culture. Such mounds served as bases for ceremonial temples or chief's houses. This mound, originally encircled by an earthen wall, contains no burials. It is 43 feet in height. Its base measurements are 310 feet by 230 feet. Its flat top measures 145 feet by 94 feet. Evidence indicates that nearby there were two smaller mounds, villages, and cultivated fields.
John McKinley's Home Site-Located intersection of Seminary Street and Veterans Drive
John McKinley (1780-1852), native of Virginia, a prominent attorney, member of Cypress Land Company, build a large three story mansion near this site in 1820s which later burned. McKinley served in Alabama legislature, U.S. Senate (1829-31) U.S. House (1833-1839) was appointed Associate Justice United States Supreme Court by President Van Buren. Served 1839-52. Died in Louisville, Ky.
DR. HICKS BOULEVARD
Dr. Hicks Boulevard Located at the intersection of Dr. Hicks Blvd and South Wood Ave.
This boulevard was named in honor of Dr. Leonard Jerry Hicks by the City of Florence in 1981. Dr. Hicks was a prominent Black leader of the community and was recognized for his skills as a physician across the State of Alabama. He was born September 20, 1899, at Plant City, Florida, and died September 27, 1973, at Florence. Dr. Hick's medical office was located near this site.
Lauderdale County Marker-Located at the intersection of S. Court St. and W. Alabama. A County Older than the State
Created Feb. 6, 1818 by the Alabama Territorial Legislature (Alabama became a state in 1819) Named for Col. James Lauderdale, cavalry man under Gen. John Coffee and Andrew Jackson, War 1812; Killed in Battle of New Orleans. Coffee planned Florence, the county seat. Jackson, President Madison owned lots.
SAINT PAUL AFRICAN METHODIST CHURCH
Greater Saint Paul African Methodist Church- Located 141 S. Cherokee
(Organized 1879 from earlier 1840 Congregation) In early 1840's about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation "Church Springs" near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a martyr during the Civil War. Site of American Missionary School after Emancipation. Organized as St. Paul AME in 1879. Relocated to Court and Alabama Streets in 1895. Charles B. Handy was early pastor and William W. Handy was early leader (father and grandfather to W.C. Handy.) St. Paul relocated again in 1968 to present site.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1818)
First Presbyterian Church-Located at 224 E. Mobile Street
The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824 and James A. Sloss, and early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's first permanent minister in 1830. Although the church buildings have undergone several major expansions and renovations (in 1898, following a fire in 1927, in 1957, and in 1968), the present sanctuary occupies the site of the 1824 building the "mother church" of Florence. In deciding to remain an urban church, this congregation continues its historical presence in the heart of Florence.
CITY OF FLORENCE
City of Florence-Located corner of East Mobile and North Court Street
Florence was surveyed for the Cypress Land Company in 1818 by Ferdinand Sannoner and named for the famous capital of Tuscany. The county seat of Lauderdale County, it was first incorporated in 1826. Located at the foot of Muscle Shoals, it became a thriving agriculture and commercial center with light industry and significant religious, educational, and medical institutions. During the Civil War, Florence was occupied by both armies at various times. The Tennessee Valley Authority with Wilson and Wheeler Dam contributed to further economic development.
Southall Drugs-Located at the intersection of N. Court Street and Mobile Street
Charles Morton Southall (1864-1952) constructed this Commercial Italianate building in 1900 of the finest materials for his wholesale/retail drug business. The elegant interior of Charles Hester, New York City, contained the area's first rubber tile floor. In addition to health wares; window glass, paints, seeds, musical instruments, and other sundries were dispensed. The building remained a pharmacy until 1970. In 1982 it was renovated by the Southall family and Byron Bower for combined commercial/residential use with John Mott, AIA, Fort Smith, Arkansas, architect. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH 1894
Trinity Episcopal Church-Located at the intersection Tuscaloosa and Pine Street
Trinity was organized in 1836 by the Rev. Thomas Armstrong Cook at Southwest corner of College and Cedar Streets. Church was consecrated February 23, 1845 by the Rt. Rev. Nicholas Hamner Cobbs. After fire damage in 1893, Trinity was relocated to the present site in 1894. First worship service held at this place was on Easter 1895. Church was consecrated June 12, 1898 by the Rt. Rev. Richard Hooker Wilmer. The bell from the original church. Parish House added in 1929; Mulled Hall and Educational Building erected in 1967.
FIRST METHODIST CHURCH 1822
First Methodist Church- Located on East Tuscaloosa Street in front of the Church
Established September 8, 1822 in a log house on the West side of town by Revs. John Cox and John Kerr. Cox and wife Frances Langley had been affiliated with the Wesleys in England. Second meeting place was in Farmer's Cobbler Shop on West Mobile Street. The third house of worship was built at present site in 1827. It was replaced in 1835, and again in 1904 with a brick structure that burned in 1920. Present church was built in 1924 and renovated in 1968.
SANNONER HISTORIC DISTRICT 1
Sannoner Historic District 1-Located on Court Street just north of Hermitage Drive
Named for Ferdinand Sannoner, who surveyed the town of Florence for the Cypress Land Company in 1818, the district contains twenty-five structures on North Court and North Pine Streets. Wealth planters, lawyers and merchants occupied the six fine antebellum homes. Courtview (1855) Gov. Edward Asbury O'Neal (1840's), Irvine Place (1843), Conner Place (1854), Wakefield (1820's) and Hickory Place (James Irvine's House 1832.) Other structures date from the late nineteenth century and early twentieth centuries.
SANNONER HISTORIC DISTRICT 2
Sannoner Historic District 2-Medical Arts Building
Built in 1926 in the Spanish Revival architectural style, this is the first structure in Florence erected with a steel skeleton supporting the floors, walls, and roof. The framework is strong enough to support two more stories than were actually built. The building was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
HOME OF THE FATHER-SON GOVERNORS
Edward O'Neal Home-Located Court Street entrance to UNA campus
Built in 1840s, acquired 1857 by Edward Asbury O'Neal. Occupied various times during Civil War by Federals and Confederates. Edward O'Neal (1818-1890) attended LaGrange College; lawyer, Colonel of the 26th Alabama Regiment C.S.A.; appointed brigadier general, Governor 1882-1886. Emmet O'Neal (1853-1922) lawyer, Governor 1911-1915 lived nearby Courtview.
COURTVIEW, ROGERS HALL 1855
Courtview, Rogers Hall-Located in front of Rogers Hall on UNA campus
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An act of the legislature was required to close Court Street. In fall of 1864 it was the headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald and her family, lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O'Neal. In 1922 it was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers, Sr., and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama.
Listed: Historic American Buildings Survey National Register of Historic Places
LOCUST DELL ACADEMY 1834-1843
Locust Dell Academy-Located on the campus of UNA, in front of Willingham Hall
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls' school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at the University of North Carolina. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry trees around this section of town. His wife, Caroline Lee Whiting Hentz, native of Massachusetts, assisted in the academy. She also wrote plays, poems, stories, popular novels, and a significant diary of her years in Florence.
FLORENCE STATE TEACHER COLLEGE
Florence State Teacher College-Located in front of Weleyan Hall on the UNA campus
Oldest state-supported teacher college south of Ohio River. 1830-opened as LaGrange College (Methodist) at nearby Leighton. 1855 moved here and renamed FLORENCE WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY. Flourished until closed by war in 1865. 1872 deeded to State by Church. Became FLORENCE STATE NORMAL SCHOOL 1927-present name adopted-1975.
Wesleyan Hall-Located in front of Wesleyan Hall on UNA campus
Charted in 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, and built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new home for LaGrange College (organized 1830 by Methodist). Used by both armies at various times during Civil War. Deeded to State of Alabama, 1873, as first co-educational teacher training institution south of Ohio River. School expanded to become University of North Alabama in 1974. Listed: National Register of Historic Places.
JACKSON'S MILITARY ROAD
Jackson's Military Road-Located at intersection of Seminary Street and Hermitage Drive in front of Pope's Tavern
Built by Andrew Jackson 1816-20. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery. Built with U.S. funds and troops. Followed in part Doublehead's Road from Columbia, Tenn. To Muscle Shoals. After 1819 mail route was transferred from Natchez Trace to pass through Florence via Military Road. A portion of Hood's Army followed this road to Franklin and Nashville in 1864. In later years called Jackson Highway.
WOOD AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT 2
Wood Ave. Historic District (2) One located at intersection of Wood Ave. and East Tuscaloosa Street and one located at intersection of North Wood Ave. and West Hawthorne Street
A residential neighborhood primarily developed between 1880 and 1930. The District contains elaborate Queen Anne, classic Georgian Revival and the more modest Bungalow style of architecture as well as two homes of the Plantation Cottage style dating back from the 1820s. Notable residents of Wood Avenue, formerly Market Street, were Tom Stribling, Pulitzer Prize winning author, George Goethals, Chief Engineer of the Panama Canal and Helen Keller, who resided on Wood Avenue while attending public school. The neighborhood has experienced very little change since the early 1900s.
WOOD AVENUE CHURCH OF CHRIST 1886
Wood Avenue Church of Christ-Located at intersection of East Tuscaloosa and North Wood Avenue
The oldest Church of Christ in the central Florence area, this congregation began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher NE corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Street in 1886. Met at various rented places until September 1890, when building was completed at SW corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Streets. Moved to present location at NE corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street March 1, 1970 upon completion of new building. This congregation has played a significant role in the expansion of Christ throughout many parts of the world.
WALNUT STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT
Walnut Street Historic District-Located at intersection of Walnut and Hermitage and another at Walnut and Tuscaloosa Street
Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through 1920s. Industries and businesses grew in Florence, the population of the city increased, and business and professional people built their homes in this typical residential neighborhood. The street remains intact and reflects the changes in architectural styles from the 1890s Victorian to the 1920s bungalow. The district was added tithe National Register of Historic Places 1977.
THE GRAVE OF "MOUNTAIN" TOM CLARK
The Grave of "Mountain" Tom Clark-Located adjacent to the Florence Cemetery on East Tennessee Street
Near the Center of Tennessee Street lies the remains of Tom Clark, a notorious leader of one of the number of outlaw gangs who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil War. Clark and two companions were removed from the local jail and hanged by outraged townspeople. He confessed to having murdered 18 people and a child. Graves were dug in a nearby field, but someone remembered hearing Clark boast "nobody will ever run over Tom Clark." Therefore, they buried him here so that all who passed by would run over Tom Clark.
FLORENCE CEMETERY 1818
Florence Cemetery-Located at the main entrance to cemetery from Dr. Hicks Boulevard
When the city was surveyed this land described as "outside the city limits" was designated as the burying grounds for the new town. It contains the graves of early settlers, including a son and brother of Ferdinand Sannoner, Surveyor of Florence, and served as the principal cemetery for over 130 years. Two former Governors in the O'Neal family, as well as many prominent community leaders and families, are interred her. "Solider's Rest", a Confederate Cemetery, is located near the south property line.
SOLIDER'S REST 1862
Soldier's Rest-Located near the rear of South Section of the Florence Cemetery
This area is the military cemetery for Confederate Soldiers after an 1862 skirmish in the streets of Florence, it was used to bury casualties until the end of the Civil War. Many unknown Confederates and a few unknown Union Soldiers rest here. After the war it was reserved for Confederate veterans and their families. In 1977 this historic plot was deeded by United Daughters of the Confederacy to insure its preservation and perpetual care.
Sweetwater-Located corner of Florence Boulevard and Hough Road. Home of John Brahan
Home of Major John Brahan, veteran of War of 1812, Major General, Alabama Militia, who owned 4,000 acres here. Built of brick made on this place, marble mantels imported from Italy. Boxwood hedge from London. Named for spring nearby. Federal and Confederates quartered here during Civil War. Home of Brahan's son-in-law, Governor Robert M. Patton 1865-1867.
EAST FLORENCE HISTORIC DISTRICT
East Florence Historic District-Located on Royal Avenue north of business district
The East Florence business area began in the industrial boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. The small locally owned firms, some in the third generation of ownership, were established to serve the growing population employed in the industries of the area. The district contains twelve buildings of historical and architectural significance, including a home, drug store, grocery, bank, cafe, fire station, and railroad depot.
MAUD MCKNIGHT LINDSAY
Maud Lindsay-Located at Maud Lindsay Kindergarten near Brandon Elementary School in East Florence (Erected by the Maud Lindsay Kindergarten Club)
May 13, 1874-May 30, 1941
Born in Tuscumbia, Lived in Sheffield Daughter of Robert Burns Lindsay, Governor of Alabama 1870-72. Teacher of Alabama first kindergarten-1898. Ranks as one of the greatest kindergarten teachers in the world. Author of 18 books for children. Maud Lindsay was close friend of Helen Keller. THE FLORENCE FREE KINDERGARTEN-ESTABLISHED SEPTEMBER 3, 1898 FOUNDED THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF MISS LOULIE JOHNES, MRS. JOHN R. PRICE, MR. FRANK JACKSON, MR. THOMAS PHILLIPS, TEACHER-MISS MAUD McKNIGHT LINDSAY TEACHER, WRITER, PHILANTROPIST.
FLORENCE WAGON WORKS
Florence Wagon Works-Located on corner of Richards Street and Veterans Drive.
Moved here from Atlanta in 1889, this industry made Florence a household word through the South. It was the largest wagon factory in the South, reportedly second largest in U.S., with 175 employees and annual production of 15,000 wagons. World War I army wagons were made here and sent all over U.S. and to France. The automobile caused gradual reduction in activity. The firm was liquidated in 1930s.
MUSCLE SHOALS CANAL 1836-1918
Muscle Shoals Canal-Located in downtown Killen at intersection of U.S. Highway 72 East and Lock Six Road
Lock Six, headquarters of Muscle Shoals Canal, was 1.3 miles south of here. An 1836 attempt to bypass the Shoals proved unsuccessful. On Nov. 10, 1890, the canal from Rogersville to Florence was successfully completed. The river fell 85 feet in 14 miles requiring nine locks. Canal was closed 1918, and later covered by backwaters from Wilson and Wheeler Dams. Jesse James robbed the U.S. payroll near lock six in 1881. Erected by BROOKS HIGH SCHOOL CLASSES 1992-1993.
KENNEDY GUN FACTORY (1823-1837)
Kennedy Gun Factory-Located on US Hwy 43 near old Jackson Road at Greenhill, AL
The famous Kennedy Long Rifle was introduced at Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War by Alexander Kennedy who fled to Moore County, N.C., when the British invaded. About 1823 his son David moved the factory to Greenhill, Alabama locating 400 yards east of the Tabernacle Cemetery. Greehill became an early gun manufacturing center with the advent of other gunsmiths: McDonalds, Garners, Stutts, Keys, Higgins, Richardsons, Davidsons, and Myricks. Property willed to the City of Florence by Hiram Kennedy Douglass, a Kennedy descendant, became the Kennedy Douglass Center for the Arts.
LONE CEDAR CHURCH OF CHRIST 1898
Lone Cedar Church of Christ located between Greenhill and Shoals Creek on Highway 47 North
Christians first met here in a log building which also served as a schoolhouse. In 1909, a frame building was constructed. Because of a single cedar tree in prominent view, it was given the name Lone Cedar by Wilbert M. (Will) Behel, an early dedicated gospel preacher. In 1938, a more modern stone building was completed by these diligent Christians. A larger auditorium was added in 1977. The early Christian meeting place soon became a landmark and vital part of the Greenhill community.
CENTER STAR METHODIST CHURCH 1818
Center Star Methodist Church-Located on US Highway 72 East at Center Star Community
Earliest Methodist Church congregation in Lauderdale County, AL. Organized June, 1818 near mouth of Bluewater Creek by circuit riders and became part of Richland Circuit of Giles County, TN. Church later move to Center Star (Originally know as Masonville) and named Driskel's Chapel until circa 1893, then relocated one mile east and renamed Center Star Methodist. Six locations have been used by congregations since organized. (Alabama Historical Association 1974)
GABRIEL BUTLER CEMETERY Circa 1809
Gabriel Butler-Located on County Road (first road west of Bluewater Creek Bridge on US Highway 72 East)
Gabriel Butler was one of the earliest settlers in Lauderdale County (shown in 1809 Chief Doublehead's reserve tenant list). Born 1779 in South Carolina died in 1856 and buried with 11 of his descendants within these walls hewn by slaves from nearby cliffs. Believed to be earliest cemetery in County. His pioneer home located on hill across from Cemetery.
FRENCH GLOVER FARM
French Glover Farm-Located north of intersection of County Road 48 and 136
Revolutionary War Veteran Benjamin French (1764-1847), a native of Virginia, is buried at this site. Arriving in Limestone County, Alabama, about 1808, French acquired this farm 1837. The nearby spring is site of prehistoric Indian village and Civil War encampments. The two-story log house, originally located three miles southwest of this place, is believed to have been constructed as early as 1829. It was moved here by the Glover family prior to 1913. This road was part of the early Pulaski Pike, a major stage coach and supply route the connected the river at Florence with Pulaski, Tennessee. (Marker erected by Darnell and Kimberley Glover)
GOV. HUGH MCVAY
Gov. Hugh McVay-Located on Cox Creek Parkway in from of Mars Hill Bookstore
Home and Site Cemetery McVay (1766-1851) South Carolina native, built a three room log house at head of Cox Creek about 1818. Community later called Mars Hill. He was a member of Mississippi Territorial Legislature, delegate to convention of 1819 which framed Alabama's first constitution. For many years member of Alabama House and Senate. Briefly Governor in 1837. Buried near his home.
LARIMORE HOME 1870
Larimore House-Located Mars Hill Road off of Cox Creek Parkway
Built by Theophilus Brown Larimore and his wife Esther Gresham Larimore, as a home and educational center. Near site of foundry and arsenal of War Between the States, it served as a school, 1871-1877, to train ministers and Christian workers of the Church of Christ. Used 1947-1968 for classes by Mars Hill School. Restored 1971 by Associated Women Association. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
GENERAL JOHN COFFEE
Gen. John Coffee-Located on Cloverdale Road 300 feet from intersection at Cox Creek Parkway.
Home Site and grave Calvary Commander under Andrew Jackson through War of 1812: (Creek War, Pensacola, New Orleans). Negotiated many treaties ceding Indians lands to U.S. Made original survey of Tennessee Valley. (Alabama Historical Association 1953)
NEW HOPE CHURCH OF CHRIST
New Hope Church of Christ-Located on County Road 14, tow miles off Savannah Highway, Southwest of Central Community
Originally the Concordia Church of Christ, the congregation was established in 1875 as W.B. Young traveled from Bethel-Berry to preach at the old Burcham Valley School House. Name later changed to New Hope Church of Christ. First building constructed in 1903 on land donated by William Brown Parrish and other early members. Building was rebuilt in 1913 following storm damage. Men and women who have made outstanding contributions to churches and communities throughout the world had their roots in this congregation.
WESLEY CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AND CEMETERY
Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery-Located 1064 County Road 15 in Central Community
Church organized in 1819; First Cemetery Burial in 1819. One of the earliest Methodist Congregations in the area, this church was organized by local preacher, Rev. Alexander Faires, in a log school built in 1816. Land donated in 1818 for church and cemetery by Henry Kirkpatrick. Additional lands donated in 1841 by Hiram and Eva Rhodes, and in 1911 and 1914 by John and Amanda Wesson and L.D. Simmons. First and second structures were destroyed by fires. A frame building was erected in 1885. First service in present sanctuary was February 6, 1966. Cemetery listed on Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
MACEDONIA CHURCH OF CHRIST
Macedonia Church of Christ-Located near County Road 5 and near intersection of Natchez Trace Parkway and Alabama Highway 20
Tracing its roots to the early 1800s, the Macedonia Baptist Church originally met in homes with Joseph Fanning, visiting evangelist. In 1834. J.W. Smith supervised a building on this site. In 1880 T.B. Larimore, an evangelist among Church of Christ was asked to preach. The group then changed its name to Macedonia Church of Christ. This Church has made a powerful local and worldwide impact. Its adjoining cemetery is the resting place for many of the county's beloved sons and daughters.
WILSON'S HEADQUARTERS AND CAMP Winter, 1865
Wilson Headquarters and Camp-Located on County Road 14 at Gravely Springs between Florence and Waterloo
Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the largest cavalry force ever massed in the Western Hemisphere at this site from mid-January to March 22, 1865. Wilson's headquarters was at the Houston Plantation about 200 yards south of here. Five divisions totaling 22,000 men were camped from Gravely Springs at Waterloo. After intensive training Wilson's Cavalry crossed the river on March 22, 1865, to invade South Alabama and Georgia. This operation included the burning of the University of Alabama and the capture of President Jefferson Davis at Irwinville, Georgia on May 10, 1865.
Town of Waterloo-Located on County Road 14 at entrance to the town
Settled in 1819, established in 1824, and incorporated in 1832- One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns, Waterloo was an important river port during the steamboat era. Large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati, and other places would unload here; smaller crafts were used to transport goods and passengers upriver to Florence during low water seasons. Following a disastrous flood in 1847, the town was relocated to its present site. It was shelled by Union gunboats in July 1862. On November 1, 1863, General William T. Sherman crossed the river here and made his temporary headquarters in the home of O.B. Sullivan.
TRAIL OF TEARS
Located in the Town of Waterloo
Thousands of Cherokee Indians passed through Waterloo in the 1830's when they were forced by the U.S. Government to move west on the "Trail of Tears". Most came by boat from Tuscumbia and camped here to await transfer to larger steamboats. During the encampment, several births, deaths, and escapes occurred. One party of 1070 Cherokees traveled overland from Ross' Landing in Tennessee due to low water in the upper river. Following the general route of U.S. Hwy #72 to Florence, they arrived here on July 10, 1838, in miserable condition after a 23-day journey. About 17,000 Cherokees were driven from their homeland in the Southern Appalachian Mtns. Most traveled by land through Tennessee and on to Okalahoma. Great suffering and about 4000 deaths occurred along the trail, especially during the Winter of 1838-39.
EDITH NEWMAN CULVER MUSEUM
Located in the town of Waterloo
The Newman House was restored in 1995 and presented to the citizens of Waterloo by Ezra Lee Culver. Built in 1872 by Hiriam L. and Julia Ann Young Richardson, this house was purchased in 1918 by Joseph Newman, a native of Ohio and U.S. veteran of the Civil War. His son, Clark Lytle Newman with his wife, Eunice Lindsey Newman, became the next owners. Their daughter, Edith, was reared here from here childhood until her marriage. The house remained in the Newman family until its dedication as the museum on October 14, 1995.
ANDREW LEE PHILLIPS
Located in the town of Lexington
Descended from early Lauderdale County pioneers, Andrew Lee Phillips established a general merchandise store here in 1888. Later, he operated a gin and grist mill and was a co-owner of the flour mill. In 1917, he was responsible for the city's first bank and served as its first president. A member of the County Board of Education, he gave the land, manufactured and donated the bricks, and provided one-fourth of funds to build the local school. He also donated the land for Lexington United Methodist Church.
SEMINARY-O'NEAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
Located on North Seminary Street behind Pope's Tavern
Named for the O'Neal family which produced two Alabama governors and for Seminary the street on which Synodical Female College was located, the Seminary -O'Neal Historic District was added to the Nation Register of Historic Places in 1995. Built between 1908 and 1943, the houses in the district reflect the variety of architectural styles of those years. Two Sears-Roebuck houses called "American Four Squares", add interest and distinction. The district opens onto the impressive campus of the University of North Alabama.
COLLEGE PLACE HISTORIC DISTRICT-(2)
Located at the corner of Willingham Road and Sherrod Avenue and the corner of Willingham Road and Lelia Street
The land on which this district rests was part of the 1818 sale by the Cypress Land Company which established the City of Florence. During the Civil War Confederate soldiers constructed breast works here for the defense of Florence. House construction began in 1907 and thirty-three were built before 1929. This lovely neighborhood contains fine examples of Prairie, Mission, and English Tudor architecture but the Bungalow style dominates. A tour of the district reveals the excellent condition of the homes, the tree-lined streets, and the comfortable life available here. The neighborhood was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
MAJOR GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON GOETHAL'S HOME-1888-1907
Located at 629 North Wood Avenue.
The great engineering genius of the Panama Canal lived at this site from 1888 until 1907. As a young lieutenant, Goethal was sent to Florence to speed up the work on the Muscle Shoals Canal Project which effectively by-passed the serious river impediment known as the Muscle Shoals. His successful accomplishments here were considered as an apprenticeship that led to his renowned work in the building of the Panama Canal (1908-1914). Goethals later remarked that his work on the Muscle Shoals loomed far larger in his memory that the canal in Panama.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH-1888
Located on Tombigbee Street near the intersection at Wood Avenue.
On May 27, 1888, this church was established at the Courthouse after a sermon at the State Normal College. Its initial name was First Missionary Baptist, but in 1910 it became First Baptist. The Florence Land Company gave property, and a building was erected and occupied in 1890. That building burned in 1909; only the piano, the pulpit Bible, the pulpit chair and the communion service survived. Dedication for the next building occurred in September, 1910. A new building was constructed in 1963.
THE GREATER MOUNT MORIAH PRIMITIVE BAPTIST-1896
Located at 821 West Irvine Ave.
The congregation first met in home of Mrs. Betsy Key. Organized as "Fairgrounds Church" in 1896 at nearby site of early Florence Racetrack and Fairgrounds, with Andy Sloss as pastor. Later, the church was moved to Irvine Avenue (formerly Fish-Trap Road). Mrs. Mary Ola Key was given honor of naming the church "Mount Moriah." The adjoining lot was purchased and church rebuilt in 1924, with C.A. Crump as pastor. In 1924, the building was remodeled and another addition erected under David Tolbert as pastor. The Family Life Center was completed in 1997 with Leroy Sawyer, pastor, and Wayne Stanley, Chairman.
PREHISTORIC NATIVE AMERICANS
Located in McFarland Park near the boat harbor.
(Circa 8,000 B.C.-1500 A.D.)
This area near the mouth of Cypress Creek was inhabited by archaic people as early as 8,000 B.C. Their main food consisted of freshwater mollusks from the river. (These mussels were the origin of the name Muscle Shoals.) The Woodland and Copena Cultures, associated with the nearby large Florence Mound, arrived around 2,000 B.C. and remained almost 3,000 years. About 800 A.D. The Mississippian Civilization established villages here and on adjoining islands. Many of the Indian mounds in the Tennessee Valley were built by them.
(Marker sponsored by the Tennessee Valley Authority, Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, the City of Florence.)
HISTORIC NATIVE AMERICANS
(Circa 1500-A.D.-1816 A.D.)
For almost 300 years this area was the home of people known as the Historic Indians. The first were the Euchees from the Great Lakes area. They were soon ousted by the Shawnees from the Ohio River. The Shawnees were evicted in 1715 A.D. by the Cherokees and Chickasaws. The Cherokees signed away their rights to this area in 1806. The Chickasaws held their claim until the Treaty of 1816. In the summer of 1778, a skirmish occurred nearby between a party of Creeks and a company of militia from Nashville. The Chief Bigfoot was killed.
(Marker sponsored by the Tennessee Valley Authority, Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, the City of Florence)
DOWNTOWN FLORENCE HISTORIC DISTRICT
Located at the corner of Court Street and Tennessee Street
From the time Florence was established in 1818, a slow but steady growth occurred. In the late 1880s the town's population increased by 500 percent as an industrial boom began. This area became the core of the business district. Most of the structures within this district were constructed between 1880 and 1920. This district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
WOOD AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT EXPANSION
Located on the corner of Hawthorne Street and Meridian Street.
Joining the Wood Avenue Historic District, the residential area is composed of 51 structures dating from 1850 to 1943. The architectural styles in the expansion area range from late-Victorian to bungalow, with an unusually fine collection of bungalows. Union General Don Carlos Buell occupied Florence in July 1862. His troops were camped on the grounds surrounding the home of Benjamin Foster, a local industrialist, once were located between Hawthorne Street and North Wood Avenue. Nearby Civil War defense earthworks survived the war for a number of years. The Malone Home on Hawthorne Street was used as a military hospital during the Civil War.
CHERRY STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT
Located on Cherry Street near the corner of Cherry Street and Hermitage Drive.
(early 20th Century)
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this district contains 52, most were built after 1900. Cherry Street was laid out in 1818 near the east boundary of Florence. Pulitzer Prize winner Thomas Sigismund Stribling portrayed Cherry Street in his novel, The Store. Angel's Corner, at Cherry and Tuscaloosa Streets was named for the James H. Angel Grocery Store which was established about 1905. This was a popular streetcar stop during the era of the streetcars.
CHURCH SPRING CHURCH AND SCHOOL
Located on Spring Street between Pine Street and Court Street.
About 1849, African-Americans began holding religious services in a brick cow shed overlooking the town spring near the site. It was purchased in 1857 by the local Methodists for this congregation, with Robin Lightfoot, a slave as its pastor. In 1879, it was organized as St. Paul's African-American Methodist Episcopal Church. Children of slaves and freemen were taught here in early years. In 1866, the Freedmen's Bureau established a school for the children of African-Americans, probably at this location.
ST JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH
Located at the Church on Plum Street.
Florence Roman Catholics established their first church here in 1898 with Gammelbert Brunner, OSB, as pastor. They earlier met in private homes attended by visiting priests. Churches in Tuscumbia and St. Florian served the Shoals at large. The ordinal wooden church and its school were the center of the surrounding Catholic Hill neighborhood for seventy-five years. A brick church replaced the wooden building in 1974. When founded, St. Joseph Church and school mainly served the working class areas of East Florence. In time, it became the chief religious and educational center for area Catholics.
FLORENCE EARLY WATER TOWER
Located on Seymore Ave.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought-iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation in the city. Water was pumped here from Cypress Creek. It was constructed during the Industrial Boom at which time the population of Florence increased from 2,000 in 1887 to over 6,000 in 1889. It was replaced by the adjoining standpipe in 1935.
Located in Seven Points (North Florence)
"America's First World War I HERO"
The home of Homer Givens, America's first hero in World War I, was located .4 of a mile north of this intersection. Following a bloody two-hour battle on November 1, 1917. Corporal Givens stood alone after his comrades had fallen. He then managed to kill three enemy soldiers before being severely wounded by twenty-three pieces of shrapnel. Givens was decorated with Frances highest military honor. His award ceremony was attended by General John J. Pershing. Commander of the American Expeditionary Forces.
OLD CONFEDERATE FORT
Located on Veterans Drive at the entrance of the Florence Coliseum
This high elevation was used by both armies during the Civil War. Large earthworks were even constructed in February 1862 by Confederate General Daniel Ruggles. At the time, more that 500 sick and wounded soldiers were being treated in Florence following the battles of Ford Henry and Donelson. The last action here occurred on Christmas Day, 1864, when it was shelled by two federal gunboats, the boats were at Muscle Shoals in an attempt to block General Hood's river crossing above Florence following the battles of Franklin and Nashville.
GENERAL HOOD'S NARROW ESCAPE
Located on Highway 72 at the Florence Fire Station No.2
December 26, 1864
Following his tragic defeat at Franklin and Nashville, General John B. Hood managed to escape over the Tennessee River at Bainbridge Ferry, a few miles south of here on December 26, 1864. Two corps under General Benjamin Cheatham and Stephen D. Lee were the first to cross, followed by men under General Alexander P. Stewart. General Nathan B. Forrest and Edward C. Walthall were the last to escape over this treacherous pontoon crossing which narrowly missed becoming one of history's bloodiest field of slaughter.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH ALABAMA FOOTBALL PROGRAM NATIONAL NCAA DIVISION II CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES
Located near the UNA practice field.
The University of North Alabama became the fist school in the history of NCAA scholarship football to win three consecutive national championships (1993, 1994, and 1995.) Under Coach Bobby Wallace, UNA posted a 41-1 record over the same three year period to become the first collegiate football team at any level to win as many as 40 games in over a three-year period. UNA also became the first Division II school to win a football national championship on its home field in three consecutive game at Florence's Braly Municipal Stadium.
Located at Deibert Park on Darby Drive
Dedicated May 25, 2000
This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large antebellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs sold this farm to Charles Posey who had worked these same fields as a slave. Later, Charles and his wife Amey, began dividing the land among their heirs, and this settlement became know as Posey. According to tradition, Charles Posey built a schoolhouse here for his children and others in the neighborhood.
PESTHOUSE AND CEMETERY
Located on Waterloo Road and Wildwood Road
Following an outbreak of the dreaded plaque, smallpox (Variola), at Florence during the winter of 1865-66, the Board of Alderman adopted a resolution on January 2, 1866, that a Pesthouse be "erected at the vineyard as soon as possible." According to tradition, this Pesthouse, believed to have been a simple two-room log structure, was located in this area where people with infectious diseases could be isolated from community. Also located nearby is a small cemetery where victims of these diseases were sometimes buried in unmarked graves.
PLEASANT HILL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH CEMETERY
Located on Savannah Highway by the church
-Established prior to 1843-
The first marked grave here is that of David Reeder who died November 18,1843. An earlier unmarked burial was a Mrs. McClure from Ireland. The original log church and school stood just north of the cemetery. In 1844, a new church was erected north of the present sanctuary on property donated in 1888 by Charles and Susan Reeder. The modern sanctuary, constructed of gray stone, was completed in 1946. Pleasant Hill was originally a part of the Cypress Circuit, one of the earliest Methodist circuits in Lauderdale County.
ANDREW JACKSON'S MILITARY ROAD
This marker will correct and replace the existing one located at the Indian Mound.
Construction of this road, as ordered by General Andrew Jackson, began in May 1817 by troops of the U.S. Army for national defense purposes. Beginning new Nashville, Tennessee, and continuing to Madison, Louisiana, it shortened the distance from that were used by Jackson's Army during the War of 1812. The military road served as a major transportation route for early settlers of North Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, and the old Southwest Territory.
CHEROKEE CHIEF DOUBLEHEAD'S VILLAGE
Located near the intersection of Darby Drive and Cox Creek Parkway.
About 1800 Doublehead located his village at this site, where his brother-in-law, Tahlonteeskee had previously lived. Doublehead's log house was built along the same style of those of the white settlers. Chief Doublehead had previously led raids against Tennessee settlers from Moneetown, located southeast of here. In 1806 a reserve was set aside for Doublehead between Elk River and Cypress Creek. He leased large tracts of land to white settlers who were later evicted by the U.S. Army. His own people assassinated Doublehead on Hiwassee River 1807.
ST. MICHAEL'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
Located on Highway 72 by the Blue River Creek Polo Fields. Donated by Edward Stanley Robbins III.
In 1872, Catholics of German ancestry settled on the former Wilson plantation and established the town of St. Florian. St. Michael's Church was built south of the road, moved to the present site 1878, and replaced with the present building in 1916. The stained-glass windows, ordered from Munich, Bavaria, weren't installed until the 1920's. The rectory was built in 1872, burned, and was rebuilt in 1934. The first pastor, Fr. Michael Merz, a German Priest, died in 1876. He was replaced by Fr. Gabriel Guerster. O.S.B., from Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Benedictine priest have served the parish since that time.
Located by the church on 2781 County Rd. 30.
Settled Here in 1818
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stage coach stop, "Wayside Inn", was a large two-story log house located on the north side of the highway from the site. In 1834 he set aside the original two acres in this burial ground for the church and cemetery. Daniel White and his wife, Margaret, are believed to be buried here. Also buried here is a son, Sherwood White, who operated a grist mill on Second Creek a few miles west of Rogersville.
Located on Highway 72
(In Florence 1820-1830)
Dred Scott, whose name is associated with the landmark U.S. Supreme Court Dred Scott Decision of 1857, was born in Virginia between 1795-1809. In 1818 he was in Madison County, Alabama. He came to Florence with the Peter Blow family in 1820. About 1827 the Peter Blow Inn was established at this site. Scott served as the hostler here until the Blows relocated to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1830. Afterwards, Scott was sold to Dr. John Emerson. It was under Emerson's service that Scott based his legal fight for freedom that resulted in the Dred Scott Decision.
COLONEL PICKETT PLACE
Located on Pine Street by the old Health Department
This "double-pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National Hotel in Florence, as a wedding gift for his bride, Elizabeth Hooks of Tennessee. It later became the home of Richard Oric Pickett, who arrived in 1843 to become one of the town's leading attorney's. Pickett was Colonel of the 10th Alabama Infantry under General Philip Roddey, called the "Defender of North Alabama" during the Civil War.
JUSTICE JOHN MCKINLEY FEDERAL BUILDING
Located on the corner of Seminary Street and Hermitage Drive
Named for Alabama's first United State Supreme Court Justice, John McKinley made his first home in Florence, Alabama from 1821-1842. Born May 1, 1780, in Culpepper County, Virginia, he died July 19, 1852, and is buried in Louisville, Kentucky. McKinley was an early settler of Huntsville, Alabama, and resided in the Howard Weeden home. As a member of the Cypress Land Company, he was one of the seven founders of Florence in 1818. McKinley helped establish one of Florence's fist schools and its first church, First Presbyterian Church
McKinley was and early benefactor of public education in Alabama by donating land for the current Athens State University and serving on the original Board of Trustees for the University of Alabama. As a local lawyer, he gained regional status as Alabama legislator and national status in both the U.S. House and Senate. His work in congress on resident of Florence 1838, McKinley was sworn in as the 23rd Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court where he served until his death.
CAPTURE OF JOHN A. MURRELL, NATCHEZ TRACE OUTLAW
Located on Waterloo Road
John A. Murrell, known as the "Great Western Land Pirate", was captured near this site in the winter of 1834. He was said to have killed over 400 people, including many kidnapped slaves. His arrest was brought about through the clever maneuvering of Tom Brannon, a local African-American slave. An attempt had been made by the outlaw to recruit Brannon as a contact man for his far-reaching empire of crime. Brannon was awarded $100.00 for his bravery and his name was publicized across the country.
Located at 110 West College Street
Named for Jabez Burrell of Oberlin, Ohio, a major donor to the American Missionary Association which funded the first structure here in 1903. The original building served black students in grades 1-12. When the school suffered financially during the Depression, its operation was assumed by the City of Florence in 1951. The high school was moved to the Slater Elementary building on South Court Street where it remained until the structure burned in 1958. In 1960, the present Burrell-Slater building opened on this site and served black students in grades 7-12 until it closed 1969.
Located on Short Court Street
Organized in 1888
Prior to the repeal of the Militia Act in 1902, states maintained their own militia. One of the last militia in Florence and Lauderdale County was the Wheeler Rifles. Organized in 1888, under the command of Captain Julian Fields, it was named for U.S. Congressman Joseph Wheeler Rifles, under the command of Captain William Martin, was the first militia company in Alabama to volunteer for service in the Spanish-American War, although the war ended while they were undergoing training in Florida.
SCULPTURE RELIEF-BOOKS AND LEARNING
Located at 350 North Wood Avenue
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the closing of Gilbert School, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates to the teaching of children, it is now a part of Florence/Lauderdale Public Library. Stoves left the Birmingham, Alabama, coal mines to become a stone worker and sculptor. He moved to Florence in 1913 and purchased Florence Marble Works. Many of the monuments in the Florence Cemetery were sculptured by Stokes.
THE AMERICAN LEGION
Located at the corner of Court Street and Dr. Hicks Blvd.
The American Legion, an organization of U.S. War Veterans was founded in Paris, France March 15-17, 1919, by delegates from combat and service units of the American Expeditionary Force assembled in response to a call committee headed by Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. A national charter was granted by Congress on September 19, 1919. The charter has been amended over the years to admit veterans of all American Wars to its membership. Nonsectarian and nonpolitical, the American Legion membership requirement is an honorable service and an honorable discharge.
THE AMERICAN LEGION
FLORENCE-LAUDERDALE POST NUMBER II
DEPARTMENT OF ALABAMA
On July 15, 1919, following a petition signed by fifteen charter members, the American Legion Post Number II, Florence, Alabama was organized, with Albert McFarland, commander, Bob Eastep, vice-commander, and George Bowen, adjutant. This post held its first meetings on West Tennessee Street, across from the location of the original court house. Construction of the original wing of this historic home of Post Number II, 318 South Court Street, commenced on March 15, 1936. This building is dedicated to the memory of those from Lauderdale County who paid the supreme sacrifice in World War I.
ANTE-BELLUM COTTON MILLS
Located by Hibbett Middle School on Appleby Blvd.
About one mile west of here is the side of the Globe Cotton Factory which was erected on Cypress Creek in 1840. By 1857 its operation included three cotton mills, a flour mill, and two corn mills, all powered by the use of three dams. By 1860 the factory employed 310 people, including a large number of women and children, at average salaries of $2.50 per week. These mills were burned by the Union Army in May, 1863. One factory, called Cypress Mill, was re-built after the war, but is operation was never successful.
LOCUST STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT
Located on Locust Street
Part of the city's first residential area, this district contains a variety of architectural styles. Originally the dwellings were log cabins. An early sawmill on Cypress Creek and a nearby brick yard provided lumber and bricks for many of the earliest houses. An early school was located on South Cedar Street, "Prepdom", an academy for boys established prior to 1835, was at the corner of Tombigbee and Cypress streets. Irvine Avenue, on the north boundary of this district, was original Fish Trap Road, named for the natural fist trap in nearby Cypress Creek.
THE KOREAN WAR
June 1950-July 1953
Erected by the citizens of Florence in honor of the men and women from Lauderdale County who served the nation in the Korean War, and IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING PATRIOTS FROM LAUDERDALE COUNTY WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE FOR THIS NATION DURING THE KOREAN WAR:
James F. Barrier
Ralph T. Bruce
Robert H. Guthrie
Morris E. Hughes
William R. McGee
Grady H. Miller
James G. Olive
Oscar B. Parker
Carl T. Sloan
Grover C. Spence, Jr.
Marvin R. Springer
Gerald D. Steen
James O. Trent
VIETNAM WAR MEMORIAL
The following men from Lauderdale County made the supreme sacrifice for our nation during the war with Vietnam.
Jimmy Rex Ball
Howard Wayne Bramlett, Jr.
Paul O'Neal Brown
Edward Lee Brock
Roger Jerrell Bryan
Virgil L. Castle
Phillip Don Childers
Samuel Earl Coker
Charles Edward Cox
James Larry Evans
Joel Wayne Forrester
Richard J. Glenn
Jerry DeWayne Hill
James Dale Hodges
Alfred W. Hubbard Barber
Jerry Reed Johnson
Albert J. Jones
Felix D. King, Jr.
Robert Burton LeCates
George Thomas Mangrum
Robert Lee McCraig
Danny Albert McGee
James Danile McKelvey
William Newton McMurtrey
Don Leslie Michael
Donald Lee Montgomery
John Runyon Neary II
Jimmy Lee Thompson
Gary Frank Wallace
SIMPSON HOUSE-IRVINE PLACE-COBY HALL
Located on the campus of University of North Alabama, North Court Street
Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her husband, James B. Irvine. Their daughter, Virginia, left the home to her great-niece Harriett Rogers King in 1939. Mrs. King and her husband, Madding restored Irvine Place in 1948. Acquired in 1990 by David Brubaker, and donated to the University of North Alabama in memory of his wife, Coby Stockard Brubaker. Listed: National Register of Historical Places.
ORIGINAL SITE OF FAME RECORDING STUDIO
Located near the Shoals Theater on Seminary Street, and Mobile Plaza
This marks the site of the pioneering music company of FLORENCE ALABAMA MUSIC ENTERPRISES (FAME), a name which became renowned worldwide as the home of "The Muscle Shoals Sound". FAME was founded in the early 1960's by three young entrepreneurs (Rick Hall, Billy Sherrell, and Tom Stafford) who improvised a make-shift studio in a vacant room above the City drug Store that once stood here. FAME'S earliest recording sessions launched the careers of such music business legends as Arthur Alexander, Rick Hall, Billy Sherrell, Norbert Putnan, David Briggs, Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham, and many others.
ORIGINAL SITE OF FAME RECORDING STUDIO
Following limited success, the partnership dissolved. Rick Hall took the publishing company and FAME name in return for the studio equipment. He relocated the studio to an empty tobacco warehouse in Muscle Shoals. His next recording "You Better Move On", by Arthur Alexander, was acclaimed as the Shoals first worldwide best seller. Over the next several decades FAME recording studios became one of the most successful producers of rhythm and blues, pop, and country music in the world. Rick Hall became known as the "Father of the Muscle Shoals Sound".
WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL
Dedicated to the memory of 129 men from Lauderdale County (Listed on these four panels) who sacrificed their lives in the defense of our Nation during World War II.
Robert F. Adams
Aubrey H. Alexander
Lee Eddy Anderton
Victor E. Barnett
Joseph D. Belue
Ralph T. Berg
William M. Brooks
Dennis O. Brown
Melvin O. Brown
Collins O'Neal Butler
James D. Butler
James E. Butler
Thomas E. Campbell, Jr.
Chester L. Chapman
Robert O. Collum
Overton L. Corner
William L. Connor, Jr.
John R. Cooper
John H. Craig
Eugene H. Crouch
Marcy B. Darnall, Jr.
Omer E. Davidson
George W. Davis
Clettis J. Dickerson
Edward T. Douthitt
Clarence Calvin Duke
Jerome R. Eckl
Fred R. Eckl
Thomas Ralph Epping
Jeffie C. Davis
Weildon R. Fowler
William E. Fowler
Foy N. Gamble
Lynwood M. Glazier
Louis O. Greaves
Harry L. Grigsby
Roy B. Grigsby
Marvin S. Gruber
William A. Hamer
Foster S. Hammond
Malcolm Hugh Hammond
Ira D. Harvey
Anthony Hawkins, Jr.
Henry V. Haynes
Samuel T. Holt
Keith F. Holtsford
Herbert H. Hughes
James A. Hunt
Charles E. Hurn
Thomas Harlan Irons
Charles Allen Jackson
Herbert F. Johnson, Jr.
R.T.S. Johnson, Jr.
George H. Kelley
Robert Bruce Killen
Albert Thomas King, Jr.
Gordon K. Knight
Reuben E. Lard
Joseph R. Lentz
Milton E. Littrell
Irl Emerson Lucas, Jr.
Jesper A. Mathis
Earl J. McBride
Roy E. McCorkle, Jr.
Don K. McDowell
Oscar E. Miner
Jefferson W. Mitchell
Sam H. Mitchell, Sr.
Don M. Montgomery
Fred T. Montgomery
Stevenson W. Moomaw
John M. Morgan
Arthur L. Muthig
Marvin W. Olive, Jr.
Elmer M. Patterson
Calvin F. Pettus
Byron P. Phillips
Coy Willis Phillips
Walter P. Porter
Homer R. Richardson
Edward Lee Roden
Perry L. Roden
Thomas E. Romine
James R. Sego
George L. Simms
Alvin H. Smith
Howard P. Smith
Joseph W. Staggs
William Joe Tanner
Gaylon S. Thigpen
Robert Coleman Thigpen
Cecil Howard Thornton
Gaines E. Threet
Alvin A. Threet, Jr.
Willie L. Threet, Jr.
Glenn C. Turner
Jesse L. Vinson
Wilson O. Wanner
Cheatham B. Warren
Raymond F. Weaver
Albert W. White
Harold G. White
Delma W. Wilbourn
Sylvester L. Wilburn
Eldred E. Williams
Arnold A. Word
Clifford M. Wright
James E. Yates
Robert E. Young
SAM PHILLIPS IN FLORENCE
This will be placed at the new Marriott Hotel in Jan.2006
Sam Phillips had a vision. It sprang from the land. It sprang from the river. Long after he had achieved fame and worldwide recognition he always spoke of Florence as the birthplace of his inspiration. He pointed towards the people he had grown up with, the family upbringing he had enjoyed, the freedom he had learned to cherish in Alabama. His greatest heroes were from the place of his birth and often of the humblest origins. He loved, as he always said, "the soil, the water, the trees, and the beautiful Tennessee River." He learned from his father how to plow behind a mule, but he told the world to always seek that unplowed row. Above text by Peter Guralnick.
THE FATHER OF ROCK 'N' ROLL
Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King, and other delta artists. In 1951, the maverick producer cut the first "Rock 'N' Roll" record, "Rocket 88". Three years later he revolutionized American music with his discovery of the dynamic Elvis Presley. His credo was passionate, conviction, originality, and individuality in the extreme. His Sun Record label unleashed the earth shaking rule-breaking sounds of Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orison, and Charles Rich. "Rock 'N' Roll is the freedom of the rhythm of the soul". He once said, "And I was looking for that little piece of soul magic". Above text by Terry Pace.
WORLD WAR I MEMORIAL
This will be placed at Veterans Park in 2007
Dedicated to the following heroes who sacrificed their lives in the defense of our Nation during World War I.
Alexander, John C.
Barkley, John T.
Brewer, William Calvin
Couch, William A.
Creasy, William M.
Hall, John Wesley
Houston, John W.
Howell, T.A. Jr.
Huepel, Jacob W.
Hulsey, Thomas W.
Lanier, Charles E.
Lawson, Henry J.
Livingston, David L.
McCollum, Arlie A.
McCollum, Oscar M.
McFall, George Edwin
McKinney, Alvin M.
Miller, Milton G.
Parum, William E.
Underwood, Thomas Clayton
Wesson, James E.
Young, Frank Leslie
115th SIGNAL BATTALION
This will be placed at the original site in March 2007.
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2ndBattalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet the Nation's military requirements. In World War II it was designated as an Engineer Combat Regiment (later Battalion). During the Korean War it was on active duty as the 104th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. The 115th Signal Battalion served this Nation in the war with Iraq during 2004-2005.
BIRTHPLACE OF W.C. HANDY
This marker is to be located on West Irvine Street at the actual site of the birthplace of W.C. Handy.
William Christopher Handy, acclaimed worldwide as the "Father of Blues" was born on November 16, 1873 in his grandfather's two-room log cabin which was located at this site. All structures in this area were removed in 1954 to make way for the Handy Homes Project. W.C. Handy received $20,000 for this site which he returned to the City of Florence to be used for restoration of his boyhood home. In 1970, the cabin was restored at its present location (620 West College Street) as a part of the W.C. Handy Home and Museum.
McFARLAND PARK AND RECREATION AREA
This is to be located at McFarland Park in 2007
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program. Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA. Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Katie Armstead McFarland, and their seven children resided in the ante-bellum mansion now called Mapleton that overlooked this river bottom. Strawberries were once grown here. Jobless familes were encouraged to plant vegetable gardens here during the Great Depression. Major McFarland rode with Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and became the first cavalryman to leap across the line onto Indiana soil.
FLORENCE LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL (1951)
COACH PRESLEY ROBBINS FIELD (1972)
This will be placed at Robbins Field in April of 2007.
Plans for the Florence Little League Baseball Program for youth in ages ranging from eight to twelve years were completed in April 1951. These plans and the layout of this playing field were in accord with those developed by America's first Little League Program of 1939 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The four local teams to participate in the Florence 1952 opening season were Indians, Red Socks, Tigers, and Yankees.
In 1973 this field was re-named Coach Presley Robbins Field in appreciation of Robbins' years of labor that was instrumental to the development of this program for the youth of Florence.
FLORENCE BETHEL CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN AMERICA
Will be placed at 408 East Alabama Street in 2008
The "Mother Church" of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland colored Presbyterian Church originated in 1898 on property deeded by the city. Led, in 1918, by Rev. Holt Smith, it bought property on Alabama Street and built a frame structure. In 1948 Rev. Earl McDonald led in the construction of the annex named for him and the Jerome Robinson Educational building. In 1997, the name became Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in American. The church continually proclaims the compassion of Christ throughout the world.