NOTE: The regular schedule of leaf vacuuming will conclude Friday, April 12, 2019. The Street Department will be working from call-ins for a LIMITED amount of time. If you have loose leaves that need vacuuming, please call 256.760.6460 and leave a message requesting a pickup.
- Leaves should be raked in piles curbside, but not into the street or gutter as this can cause flooding and traffic problems.
- Rake leaves to the edge of your yard near the curb, but away from any obstacles such as cars, trees, fences, or mailboxes giving access to the vacuum truck.
- Keep leaf piles free of limbs, pine cones, sticks, rocks and other trash which can damage the vacuum hoses and slow progress.
- Curbs and gutters will be vacuumed after the majority of leaves have been collected.
- Bagged leaves and other curbside trash will continue to be picked up weekly.
- Please avoid piling raked leaves on top of your water meter because this prevents meter readers from getting an accurate reading.
Florence City provides seasonal loose leaf collection for leaves placed behind the curb in a pile or window (City residents only). During fall/winter leaf collection, trucks vacuum leaves from the curbside Monday through Friday starting at 7:00 am.
The loose-leaf collection program usually begins in November and operates on a route system. Leaf crews will follow the scheduled routes providing equal service for everyone. The earlier leaves are raked, the quicker they will be picked up.