Florence Utilities application process includes electricity, gas, water/wastewater and/or garbage services. Florence Utilities requires a security deposit for each account. When an account is closed, the deposit is credited toward the final bill, and any credit balance is refunded to the customer. Customer must be at least nineteen (19) years old to sign for utility service. The following information must be provided.
- Two forms of identification - Valid driver's license or state identification card and social security card.**
- Copy of lease or rent receipt, if property is not owned.
- A notarized application is required if it is not signed in person at Florence Utilities.
- Authorization is required if an officer of the company does not make application for utility service.
A commercial utility deposit is required for all businesses. A commercial deposit quote may be obtained in advance by calling, emailing, or faxing the Customer Service Supervisor. Customers can use the Commercial Deposit Quote forms below. Commercial Deposits can be secured in the following manner:
- Cash, check, or credit/debit card.
- Surety Bond Form - (legal size)-This form can be utilized when securing a commercial utility deposit of $1,000 or more with a surety bond.
- Certificate of Deposit or Time Deposit Receipt Requirements-This form can be used when a bank issues a Certificate of Deposit or a Time Deposit Receipt to secure a commercial utility deposit of $500 or more. Also, the bank must issue a letter to Florence Utilities stating that a utility hold is being placed on the certificate. See attached Sample Bank Letter.
Commercial Deposit Quote form for Existing Structure
Commercial Deposit Quote form for New Construction
Submit all applications & forms to:
City of Florence Utilities
Municipal Building, Room 106
110 West College Street
Florence, AL 35630
The One Stop Shop/Business Development page is available for all businesses, and provides valuable resources and information for starting a business in Florence.
**Why Do We Need Your Social Security Number
Like most utilities, Florence Utilities uses Social Security Numbers to validate a customer’s identity and prevent fraud. This ensures you are connected to the proper account.
There are several reasons Florence Utilities requires a customer’s social security number to establish services:
- Verification of Identity-Fraud prevention.
- Florence Utility Department is issuing a service without first receiving payment. The customer’s utility bill is based on what is used, not a prepaid amount.
- Collections process-Every year, Florence Utilities must account for an average of half a million dollars in bad debt. These are customers that were provided utility services but did not pay for the services. After initial collections attempts by Florence Utilities, a customer’s account is turned over to a collections agency for non-payment. This bad debt can impact the customer’s credit rating.
Florence Utilities Customer Service Representatives use a government issued photo ID, along with the social security card, to verify identity. They do enter the entire social security number into the system, but afterwards it is masked so that an agent of the utility can only see the last four digits when accessing account information. There are multiple layers of infrastructure and network security to protect customer information. We have taken multiple steps to ensure confidentiality with all personal information. Florence Utilities has an Identity Theft Prevention Program in compliance with the rules and regulations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, 15 U.S.C. § 1681 et. seq.
You can be assured that Florence Utilities respects consumer privacy and is committed to helping you understand how we manage your personal information under our care. Florence Utilities collects and maintains information about you to provide you with the service you request and to service your account.
How We Protect Your Information
At Florence Utilities our customers are our most valued assets. Protecting your privacy is important to us. We restrict access to personal information only to our employees who need this information to provide you with utility services. We require our employees with access to your customer information to protect it and keep it confidential. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
We do not sell customer information. Also, we do not disclose any personal information about you, as our customer or former customer, except as described in this notice.
Sharing Information With Others
Florence Utilities only shares information with parties authorized by you, our agents in collections matters, and to others as legally required.