TVA and Florence Utilities are providing free energy efficiency kits to Tennessee Valley Consumers who complete a do-it-yourself home energy audit.
The offer is part of TVA's effort to help inform the public about energy efficiency while providing tools consumers can use now to start saving energy in addition to money on their electric bills.
You may be aware that your energy bills are one of the major expenses of your home. Residents may take a home energy audit by going to the energyright.com web site or by requesting a paper version of the audit from Florence Utilities.
This audit will help you find out how you are using energy around your home.
Consumers who complete the audit will receive a free home energy conservation kit to help them get started. They will also receive a personalized energy profile report illustrating their home's overall energy use and costs and listing specific actions they can take to reduce energy bills now and in the future.
Each kit includes a comprehensive "How to Save" brochure, hot water temperature gauge, and two compact florescent light bulbs that use 75 percent less electricity and last 10 times longer than traditional light bulbs. The conservation kit also includes:
- A filter whistler that sounds when the heating or cooling system filter is 80 percent clogged and needs to be changed.
- Outlet and light switch gaskets - insulation to help stop drafts and save energy.
- Faucet aerators (two) - water-saving filters that improve efficiency.
- Hot water temperature card that measures temperature of hot tap water and indicates if thermostat adjustment is needed to save money and prevent water scalds.
- Energy use thermometer gauge that helps check energy costs for heating and cooling. Each degree thermostats are set back eight hours a day can reduce heating bills by as much as 3 percent and cooling bills by up to 5 percent.
After completion of the audit, you will receive your kit in approximately 4 - 6 weeks. One kit per household while supplies last. This offer applies to residents of the Tennessee Valley served by TVA and local distributors of TVA power.
For more information about this program you may contact Florence Utilities at (256) 740-6055 or go to the energyright.com web site.